Wednesday, September 10, 2008

No man is an island...

So apparently I will have one more obstacle on the way to Debt Freedom. Task #4 – Educate the Husband

I was greeted the other day with a bellowed “What the HELL is this?” coming from our home office. Apparently, my beloved hubby had found the “Own Up to Your Debt” worksheet and was even more oblivious than I concerning our current situation. I had thought I had been communicating our situation to him, but things have gotten a little lost in the translation.

His first suggestion – Consolidation Loan. No way! I know this will likely bring down our interest rate, but this will bring the lifetime total to 3 loans. We have always paid the loans off, but we always end up back in the same situation as before. We need to learn our lesson this time. Plus combined with being too chicken to confront our banker with yet another pile of debts, I’ve ruled it out (until the pile is a little more manageable at least!)

The hubby is always about the quick fix. My new goal is therefore to keep him apprised of our current position and making sure that he is working in the same direction to getting these debt monkeys gone. First, I have to fight his compulsion to sell everything we own and live in a box to pay off the balances. Moderation – my young grasshopper – moderation!

By the way, he has helped me by giving me all of the old beer bottles and cans in the garage to return. Only got $10.40 (0.40 in the change jar for another month), but hey I’ll take it.

Debt balance – same as last time
Credit cards to pay off – 3
“Extra Money” this month - $10 – still waiting on that eBay money ship (some of my auctions are looking good – some not so good)

No comments: